Bluefish is a browser-based editor targeted towards programmers and web developers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code. Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages.
Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari
- Lightweight - Bluefish tries to be lean and clean, as far as possible given it is a GUI editor.
- Fast - Bluefish starts really quick (even on a netbook) and loads hundreds of files within seconds.
- Multiple document interface, easily opens 500+ documents (tested >10000 documents simultaneously)
- Project support, enables you to work efficiently on multiple projects, and automatically restores settings for each project.
- Multi-threaded support for remote files using gvfs, supporting FTP, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV, CIFS and more1
- Very powerful search and replace, with support for Perl Compatible regular expressions, sub-pattern replacing, and search and replace in files on disk.
- Open files recursively based on filename patterns and/or content patterns
- Snippets sidebar - specify custom dialogs, search and replace patterns or insert patterns and bind them to a shortkut key combination of your liking to speed up your development process
- Integrate external programs such as make, lint, weblint, xmllint, tidy, javac, or your own program or script to handle advanced text processing or error detection
- Integrate external filters of your liking, pipe your document (or just the current selected text) through sort, sed, awk or any custom script
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality
- In-line spell checker which is programing language aware (spell check comments and strings, but not code), requires libenchant during compilation2
- Auto-recovery of changes in modified documents after a crash, kill or shutdown
- Character map of all unicode characters (requires libgucharmap during compilation)3
- Site upload / download1
- Full screen editing
- Many tools such as tabs to spaces, join lines, lines to columns, strip whitespace, etc. etc.
- Customizable programming language support:
- In-line reference information (move your mouse over a function name or tag name) for various programming languages
- Code block folding
- Highlighting matching block start and end markers (both brackets and tags)
- Multiple encodings support. Bluefish works internally with UTF8, but can save your documents in any desired encoding.
- Bookmarks functionality